As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Whether you’ve been practicing yoga for weeks, months or years, yoga gloves can be the ideal accessory to have during your sessions, helping those with sensitive hands and delicate wrists to be able to have a firmer hold on their mat or their ankle.
Those who practice hot yoga regularly will be more than aware of the slippery nature of doing yoga in a warm room. If you’re holding a particularly difficult position such as the side plank or the one-handed tree pose, things can get very tricky and possibly cause you injury if not performed correctly.
The yoga glove is still a rare sight in a yoga studio, with most people plowing on bare-handed. However, lots of yoga experts do recommend them if you are trying a difficult pose for the very first time.
Yoga gloves will also mean that you can perform without a mat, which is perfect for those who prefer doing yoga in the comfort and freedom of their own back garden.
But where can you find the best quality yoga gloves? What features do yoga gloves have that give you the optimum support when attempting those difficult yoga poses? How much can you be expected to pay for a pair of good quality yoga gloves?
Well, don’t get yourselves in a twist over these questions, because we’ve got some answers for you!
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best yoga gloves currently available on the market, along with a handy buyer’s guide to steer you in the right direction as well as some frequently asked questions for yoga masters and newbies alike.
Top 5 Best Yoga Gloves For Grip Wrist Support
OUR TOP PICK
First up we have a pair of yoga gloves that come in a very affordable 4 pack, giving you that extra grip you need, with or without a yoga mat. The fact that these come in so many varieties will mean that you won’t have to wash your gloves after every session, simply rotate them every 4 days - introducing Stargoods Yoga Gloves.
These yoga gloves come very highly rated by users, with rubber nodules on the palms that will make you stick to rubber, tarmac and grass surfaces like glue. This will give you the solid foundation that’s needed to achieve a decent yoga pose.
As mentioned above, these gloves come in a wide range of colors that will complement the rest of your yoga attire. You can ascribe different colors to different days of the week to avoid confusion, or you can even associate different colored gloves with different goals for each day.
- These gloves are durable, non-slip and secure around the wrists, enabling you to grapple with your favorite yoga poses with ease.
- You won’t need to wash these gloves as much as others, as they come in a handy 4 pack, allowing you to rotate them. This means that your gloves will have a much longer lifespan.
- The price - for a bumper pack of gloves, these are very affordable, which means that when they eventually do perish, you won’t think twice about dipping your hand in your pocket for a new set of 4.
- These have less wrist support than some of the other brands on this list. They can also stretch during use, meaning they will wear out quicker with repeated use.
Our next design of yoga glove offers something a little different, with both yoga gloves and sock for that extra solid base, allowing you to practice on the most slippery surfaces if necessary. The rubber and fabric combination gives you something that not only breathes well but is functional and durable - introducing YogaPaws Elite Padded Non-Slip Yoga Gloves.
The USP of this product is surely the dual gloves and socks feature, which lets you firmly strap your mitts to your foot and hands for that spider-like grip. These will allow you to more firmly ground yourself to a slippery mat during hot yoga, achieving the tricky poses that the au-naturel yogis will struggle with!
The terry cloth is great for absorbing sweat and grease, with the top half of the gloves coming in a very breathable material, which is usually the point where the hand releases the most heat. There is also a tough strap on the wrist that means that your yoga gloves won’t be perishing any time soon.
- Made from semi-elastic and rubber-soled material, these gloves are both extremely flexible and durable, practically molding themselves to the shape of your hand - you won’t even notice they’re there!
- The fabric of these gloves is very breathable in the top part of the hand and foot, meaning that body heat will be easily ventilated as well as absorbing a high degree of sweat.
- The rubber inlay on the gloves become more active with the heat of the hands, making them the perfect addition to your hot yoga apparel.
- The elastic between the fingers does tend to give out before the rest of the glove after repeated use over a long period.
Next, we have a pair of support yoga gloves that come in 4 separate sizes and have been described as some of the best fully-integrated gloves currently on the market. They provide a premium level of hand and wrist support, which will be useful if you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis - introducing the Wrist Assured Pro Style Gel Padded Gloves.
As you can probably tell by the name of this product, there is a gel-based lining on the inside of this glove, giving users with wrist complaints such as arthritis that added comfort and support they’ll need when leaning all their body weight on these painful areas.
The wrist and palm support on these gloves are second-to-none, the adjustable wrist strap can be fixed securely in place, giving you more or less strength in this area as and when needed. These are the perfect gloves for alleviating recurring pain in these regions.
- The adjustable strap and gel inlay of these gloves give it that supreme, professional level of comfort. These are the number one gloves on this list for people who want to practice yoga while suffering from conditions such as arthritis.
- Coming in a range of bright colors, this glove is very versatile, perfect for use in any scenario, whether it be hot yoga or regular outdoor yoga.
- The support in the wrists and in the palms is perfect for anyone seeking to rehabilitate themselves after an injury who want to regain flexibility in the hand and wrist area.
- The price - these gloves might be considered expensive for all but the most die-hard of yoga practitioners. However, if you are experiencing an injury yet still want to do yoga, you might consider the benefits are worth the extra cost.
We're revisiting the YogaPaws brand, who have manufactured yet another highly-rated, extremely versatile and, most importantly, an affordable product especially made for hardcore yoga enthusiasts.
With optimal wrist support and a comfortable terry cloth fabric body, you can expect to get a lot for your money with this pair of gloves - introducing YogaPaws SkinThin Non-Slip Grip Gloves For Men And Women.
There are many reasons to like the YogaPaws SkinThins, one of which is the absorbent quality of the terry cloth body. Sweat is pulled from the hands and dispersed across the thin mesh of the gloves, meaning that sweat will evaporate a lot quicker than on a regular glove.
It also comes with a high-quality velcro strap across the wrist, meaning you can put them on and secure them quickly and easily. It also has extra padding in the palm, giving you the comfort you need to perform those complex yoga moves, especially if you’re posing on rough, uneven outdoor surfaces.
- The support in the wrist and palm area means that you can pull off advanced yoga moves, even if you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome and other conditions that afflict the hand and wrist.
- These gloves come in an assortment of colors, meaning that you can go bright or dark, depending on what you feel better complements your yoga outfit.
- When it comes to hitting the yoga mat with a no-nonsense approach, nothing says professional better than a pair of heavy-duty yoga gloves like these.
- The rubber mesh on the inside will allow you to hold those poses for much longer than you normally would - with this pair of yoga gloves, you can really up your game.
- Some users have complained that these gloves do not eliminate odors and can start to smell after repeated uses. You might have to put these in the washing machine after a few yoga sessions.
Finally, we have a pair of yoga gloves that are renowned for giving users a steady hand while allowing for increased wrist mobility and tension. Manufactured from cotton, these come in a one-size-fits-all style, allowing you to strap them on and hit the yoga mat within a few seconds - introducing Gaiam Yoga Gloves.
The material of the cotton gloves is very absorbent, making them the ideal accessories for hot yoga practitioners or if you suffer from particularly sweaty hands. The heat is transferred from the palm to the top of the hand, allowing for natural ventilation.
The bottom portion of the glove is covered in rubber dots to increase the hold on whatever surface you’re practicing yoga on. These gloves are especially good for doing yoga on uneven terrains such as grass, smooth tarmac or bare wood flooring.
- The Gaiam gloves give you a much firmer grip on your surface as well as those parts of your own body, making them the ideal gloves to use if you are attempting a much more advanced yoga move for the very first time.
- The price - these gloves are probably the cheapest on our list, which will appeal to those yogis who don’t want to shell out for a more streamlined pair. You could even double up on these and rotate them to save on wear and tear from repeated washing.
- The material is highly absorbent to sweat, making them the best gloves for people who fancy a go at hot yoga.
- Made from simple pure cotton, these gloves offer hardly any wrist support, which might not be helpful for advanced yogis or people suffering from wrist injuries.
Best Yoga Gloves For Grip Wrist Support Buying Guide
There are many benefits to having yoga gloves when you hit the mat, although there are certain things you’ll have to consider before purchase, such as: what type of yoga are you doing? What environment are you doing yoga in? How often do you frequent your yoga class?
Here are some of the things that yoga gloves will help you do.
Yoga Gloves Enhance Your Grip
Slipping in hot yoga is a very real hazard and it can cause you injury if you don’t have the right protective gear that gives you that extra purchase on the mat.
A decent pair of gloves with rubber nodules or padding on the insole will reduce the risk of slipping during those crucial yoga poses.
Yoga Gloves Will Remove The Need For A Yoga Mat
With that additional purchase on your surface, you won’t have to worry about lugging a yoga mat around with you. Gloves are basically mini-mats affixed to your hands!
Hardcore yogis often use gloves as it enables them to improvise their environment and surfaces, practicing the hardest of yoga poses on treacherous terrain. If you’re someone who wants the peace and tranquility that comes with doing yoga on a mountainside overlooking a stunning valley, you’ll certainly prefer a pair of gloves to a cumbersome mat.
Yoga Gloves Give You Added Wrist Support
If you are suffering from a chronic wrist injury, then heavy-duty yoga gloves with enhanced wrist support will be a must-have. Weight-lifters use wrist supports when lifting and the same should go for a serious yogi - simply think of your own body as the weight!
By trying harder yoga moves, you are enabling yourself to build up the muscles in your wrists and arms, increasing flexibility and allowing you to attain professional levels of balance and movement in your poses.
Wrist support yoga gloves will also help you avoid pain, which might jeopardize your yoga abilities in the long run.
Yoga Gloves Help To Prevent Calluses
As we’ve seen from our list above, certain brands of gloves come lined with a gel padding that will cushion the pressure points on your hands and prevent rubbing that eventually leads to callusing of the hands.
Repetitive gripping of the surface will also leave the hands dry and coarse. If you want to preserve the smooth texture of the skin on your hands, we most certainly recommend you purchase a pair of yoga gloves.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are You Looking For In A Decent Pair Of Yoga Gloves?
Most gloves can look the same on the surface, however, there are different grades of gloves that range from just a few dollars to nearly one hundred dollars.
Purchasing the right glove for you will be determined by the levels of activity you plan on doing and over what amount of time.
There are a few things that an advanced level of yoga glove should provide:
- Comfortable material, especially on the palm of the hand.
- A rubber grip in the fingers and on the palm of the hand.
- Support in the wrist, usually with an adjustable strap.
- A decent look and style - ideally you want something that suits your yoga apparel.
- Material that covers the finger entirely or partially.
The features of a glove will certainly be able to determine the level at which you can operate on the yoga mat. The extra grip will mean that poses can be held correctly for longer, while comfort in the hands and wrists will prevent injury over repeated motions.
How Tight Should A Yoga Glove Fit My Hand?
Getting the right fit for your yoga glove is very important. A glove that is too tight will irritate over time, whereas a loose-fitting glove might cut into your fingers and cause you to slip.
You should have gloves that do not restrict your range of motion, as well as being breathable enough to avoid the discomfort that comes with excess sweat buildup. You can get gloves that have moisture-wicking properties, which will keep your hand dry throughout your session. This will be particularly beneficial if you practice hot yoga.
Gloves that are made from a combination of machine washable materials are the best for avoiding odors and reducing perishing between the fingers.